In His Image
As an activity while baking cookies together
Understanding how we are created in God’s image, yet each of us is unique and special.
- Gather supplies for baking cookies. (You can choose to make from scratch or use store bought)
- Optional: Gather supplies for decorating the cookies.
Serve it up
- SAY: We are going to bake some cookies together. We have a fun shape (cookie cutter) to make our cookies with.
- DO: Roll out the cookie dough and start using the cookie-cutter to cut out the cookies.
- SAY: Notice that the shape of the cookie cutter is the shape of our cookies.
- DO: Put the cookies in the oven to bake.
- READ: Genesis 1:27 “So God created mankind in his own image, in the image of God he created them; male and female he created them.”
- SAY: We used this cookie cutter to make the same shape over and over again. It says in this verse that God created us in his image or likeness. The dictionary gives this definition of image: “a physical likeness or representation of a person, animal, or thing, photographed, painted, sculptured, or otherwise made visible.” We used the cookie cutter to make a certain shape, but it isn’t the same as the cookie cutter. In the same way, we are created in the “image of God.” We are not God, but created to be like Him and reflect what He is like.
- DO: Take the cookies out of the oven and let them cool.
- OPTIONAL: Decorate the cookies together. You can use this time to talk about how we are created in God’s image, but that He has created us each as individuals with different gifts and talents. Read Romans 12:4-8 together.
- DO: Get your yummy cookies, a glass of milk and enjoy eating your treat with your family.
- PRAY: Thank God for the gift of each member of your family. “Thank you, Lord, for bringing us together. Help us work together as a team to complement each other better than ever before. In Jesus Name we pray, Amen.